Ashwagandha is one of the most powerful medicinal plant and is used for more than 3000 years by one of the oldest medecine in the world: ayurvedic medicine. This plant promotes sleep, efficiently balances the nervous system and gives back the force of the horse (Ashwagandha means the odour of the horse). It is considered to be a major plant in ayurvedic medicine and is rightly called Indian Ginseng, as compared with the properties of Panax Ginseng (capacity to give back a lot of energy, vitality and a considerable action on libido).
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) is rich in iron, in glycowithanolides (antioxidants), tannin, glucose, potassium nitrate, alkaloids, fatty acid and many other susbtances. Ashwagandha also contains steroid alkaloids: somnine, somniferine, anferine… and withanolides.
These alcaloïdes play a major role in the active substances of the plant. Withania Somnifera contains flavonoid, lactones, acyl steryl glucosides. In ayurvedic medicine (Indian) it is the leaves that are most often used, but so too are the plant’s roots, which contain the greatest number of active ingredients in the plant.
Force – Vitality – Power
– General tonic
– Considerably strengthens the organism (in combination with Maca and Spirulina)
– Strengthens the muscle mass (in combination with Maca and Spirulina)
– Adapted to Athetes and for endurance
– Fortifies tissues, muscles, bones
– Chronic fatigue, reduces the feeling of fatigue
– Gives back vitality, force, energizing
– Anaemia, lack of red blood cells
Anti-Diseases – Anti-ulcer
– Restorative tonic of the organism
– Stimulates the immune system
– Antioxydant / Participates to the prevention of cancers: breast, lung, colon
– Participe to the prevention of tumor (might help to slow the growth of tumors)
– Convalescence of chronic diseases (in combination of Ginseng and Goji)
– Helps with ulcers (in combination with Curcuma)
– Memory loss, Alzheimer (serious studies with Ginkgo Biloba)
– Antiseptic: asthma, fever, cold, cough, conjunctivitis
– Hypothyroidism, stimulates and regulates thyroid (not recommended in case of hyperthyroid)
– Multiple sclerosis
Sleep – Relaxation – Stress
– Sense of well-being on the medium term (in combination with Goji)
– Reduces the impacts of stress, anxiety (in combination with Rhodiola)
– Allows a better answer of the organism face to stressful situations
– Sleeping effect (hypnotic effect with high-dose)
– Appeasement, Relaxation (sedative effects)
– Promotes a good night’s sleep (in combination with Goji)
– Migraine, loss of memory
– Depression, nervous exhaustion
– Importence, premature ejaculation
– Infertility, problems to have children
– Increases the production of sex hormones and powerful neurotransmitters
– Stimulates libido
– Renew spermatozoa and remove spermatozoa of bad quality
– Painful menstruation, absent or overabundant
– Menopause, hormonal disorders
– Protects liver
– Chronic constipation, bowel obstruction
– Protects from stomach and intestine ulcers
– Reduces the inflammations of the digestive tract, irritable bowel syndrome
– Regulates digestive system
– Fights diabetes, excess of sugar in the blood
– Reduces the bad cholesterol
– Intestinal spams
It is recommended to do 1 month of treatment / 1 week of break / 1 other month of treatment. Ashwaganda is frequently commercialized into capsules: take 3 to 4 capsules per day (350 mg x3 for the extract powder and 250 mg x3 for the dry extract, preferably in the evening.
For the herbal tea or decoction, take 1 to 2g of dried root for a herbal tea. In order to extract all the active substances, make boil the plant during 15 minutes then brew for 10 minutes. Do not exceed 2 cups per day in decoction.
Ashwagandha is better in form of capsules to have all its benefits.
SIDE EFFECTS, CONTRA-INDICATIONS
Ashwagandha is not recommended in case of hyperthyroid, pregnancy and can cause, in high doses, some intestinal conditions.
In higher doses, Ashwagandha is hypnotic. Always try with a low dose in the beginning then gradually increase the dose. Take it in the evening because the plant, in high dose, can be sedative.
In general, the plant is pretty safe.
Ashwagandha of excellent quality must be rich in withanolide (5%), to regain a powerful energy and very effectively fight all the problems of stress, depression, sleep.
Careful to the quality of Ashwagandha, an important amount are sold with active principles very low, the plant is then ineffective. Always take Ashwagandha rich in withanolide.
ASSOCIATION WITH OTHER PLANTS
Ashwagandga can be associated with a lot of plants, in regards of its many vertues. Ashwagandha is particularly efficient with Rhodiola (nervous balance, concentration, endurance), very good association with Ginseng, Tribulus, Maca (libido, aphrodisiac, nervous balance, vitality) and has an excellent synergy with Griffonia simplicifolia (sleep, deep depression, stress, insomnia) and Harpagophytum (very powerful anti-inflammatory, tendinitis, articular pain). Ashwagandha is very good as well with Ginkgo Biloba (blood flow, concentration, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease), Goji Berry (anti-ageing, fatigue, sleep), cordyceps (sexual energy, fatigue, convalescence, sport), with Eucalyptus and with Thyme (antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial), with Cannabis (nervosity, nervous breakdown, painful PMS) and with Curcuma (digestion, inflammations, ulcers, hyper-acidity of the stomach).